Thursday, April 15, 2010

Sparta v Slavia and a slightly distracted Mom

I spent most of the day out at the hospital, again, and left with less resolution than I'd hoped for. Taking that bit of unsettledness I headed in to school to take care of some of the many things hanging over me... it was during this state of exhaustion/distraction that I received a text from my young'un asking to go to a football match with her friend who is moving away from Prague after having spent the last few years here - his father's diplomatic mission has come to an end and so they're leaving this week.

Without really thinking about the implications of the request I agreed - she's a good kid and I don't worry about her actions.

A few hours later I realized she was headed to the Sparta v Slavia game - think Giants/Dodgers if they were living in the same town... or take a look back to the East Coast where there are 2 dueling teams. And then add in European football hooliganism. Genius Mom move!

So, I sat at home and stressed and texted her a reminder to be careful, rabid fans, etc... and she told me they were safe in the neutral zone and not exposed to that sort of nonsense, but I still wasn't relaxed. I know the police presence in the metros and on the streets after a football match when it's not a major rivalry and have experienced it once, last year, when Sparta and Slavia played - even though my metro was peaceful I found the whole experience very intimidating.

So Coral gets home and we start talking... she expressed her frustration with Sparta setting up so many awesome shots and waiting too long to take them... with Sparta always moving the ball in to the corner and allowing themselves to get blocked in... with Sparta - you get the idea and can figure out who she was rooting for. They lost. Slavia scored in the first ten minutes with a penalty kick and it was the only score of the game.

Then she threw in how safe they were - behind the goal. I freaked a little inside as that's not typically a mellow spot, but she said they were in an area reserved for teenagers and it was a neutral zone. Then she mentioned how they were across from the Sparta fans and that they were a little crazy... I guess they set 3 fires during the course of the match. Shock and horror and incredulity were my reactions - and so Coral finds it appropriate to throw in that above them was the small section containing the Slavia fans - and they set about 6 fires - and one of those fires fell off of their level and started a fire on another level below.

SERIOUSLY?

As she was going to sleep she sorta added this one too... "It was pretty cold out and part of me was wishing someone would start a fire near us so I could warm up a bit."

Next time, in about 10 years when she's accompanied by bodyguards and equipped with a fire extinguisher, next time, I'm sending her with a blanket.

AND finally - she discovered she'd been "tagged" on her way home - someone slapped a TORPEDO HOOLIGANS sticker on the back of her sweatshirt. I'm unfamiliar with them, so some insight in to the Torpedo Hooligans would be appreciated.

This has been one of the more stressful parenting episodes yet. Maybe I should stop watching Elijah Wood movies.

No comments: