Tuesday, November 9, 2010

end of the day

Everyone enjoys the end of their work day. The time changed here a few weeks ago and now the end of my work day is dark. Really dark. I'm usually in a rush when I'm leaving but the other night I caught in inkling of something as I was having a quick conversation in the crowds surround the Charles Bridge. Just a whiff of something on the air, I knew there was more to it but didn't have the time to find out what it was... tonight I took that extra moment and was duly rewarded.

When I leave the medieval building I spend my days in I pick my way down a cobblestone street , pass a few restaurants, a number of tourists and artists and artisans, their tools and wares packed on to handy little wheely carts I've never seen outside of this city - we all pass through the edges of the low-level lamp light... very old European setting. Approaching the first corner the brisk air carries tones of music... sometimes a jazz club down the alley but for the past few evenings it's been the accordion player milling about the end of the bridge. I turn the corner towards the trams and am followed by the sounds of the accordion and the occasional bits if song the player bursts in to - when I get to the tram stop I stop and wait. I looked up tonight, not something I always do as it's been raining off and on lately, and the church next to me was beautiful, the moon was out and I realized for the umpteenth time I was standing in the shadow of the castle - little bits of St Vitus peeking through at the corners of the buildings at the base of the hill.

Sometimes, sitting on the tram I look out over the Vltava and catch the reflection of the river-side lights and clubs and the moon in the water... sometimes it's so quiet and peaceful. Sometimes it's just perfect lovely to sit and be quiet and absorb the world.

No comments: