Sunday, December 7, 2008

Devil Day and the overwhelming religious aspects of an aetheist pre-school

If I tell you the full story you're going to say I partook in a Satanic ritual. Seriously. Anyone with any sort of Christian background would be horrified - Christian in the larger sense of any religion that holds Jesus to be God's son and not Christian in the sense of a singular and exclusive fundamentalist or evangelic religion.

All week long I've been working with kids on the projects assigned to me. This week was different - my words weren't apple, ten, cucumber, or blue but rather angel, devil, St. Miklaus, Baby Jesus.... and the projects were either a clay nativity scene OR devils, angels, or pope-like St. Miklaus - St. Nicholaus to you westerns... you know - Jolly Old St. Nicholaus....

The devil here is 'the devil' (but in czech) or Lucifer. He speaks a lot - and says "Blitter-lidder-lidder-lidder" but over and over and over again and really really fast!!!

Friday was the culmination of everything we'd been working on for the week - and the day I learned the devil speaks... and the day I joined in song with about 25 little devils, holding hands, dancing and singing around the fires of hell.

I kid you not.

More details when I'm more awake.

1 comment:

Kidsis said...

Oh Sister Margaret Ann does NOT approve...