Saturday, September 11, 2010

9/11 - this day, this year

I think the events of nine years ago are firmly embedded in the memories of all American past a certain age. I know, even living on the west coast, the fear and confusion I woke up to that morning, watching the planes crash, the smoky skies and not understanding what was happening. It was a tragic day and the impact reached beyond the boundaries of the US. It brought to light the extent to which militant fundamentalists were willing to go and showed the world that the US was vulnerable. The way the world functioned changed.

I don't think we've learned the right lessons. I don't think we're doing what we should - too many people have become self-righteous in their religion and intolerant of other views. Rather than opening minds and eyes people now are too quick to label,assume, lump and dismiss - the whole debacle about the Sufi mosque in New York is one example. I wish people would take a look at what Sufism is and then try to continue lumping that in with radical Muslims. You can't dismiss a major branch of religion due to a militant division - Christianity would have been vilified and set for eradication centuries ago if that world had adopted today's approach.

The crazy Koran burning minister in Florida seems to have struck a note with certain American sympathies. I don't understand. Why live your life trying to offend others and work against peace and harmony? Why flame the fires of the radical few and alienate the peaceful majority? Why increase the global risk to Americans, not just the troops, but to tourists, students, over-seas workers, military families and even domestically?

I'm a little angry today. I'm a little angry not only at the people who caused 9/11 to become an infamous day in American history but also at those Americans who choose to remain ignorant - the ones who still say Saddam attacked us, that Iraq was about 9/11, that Obama is Muslim, that burning the Koran is justified because radicals in the Middle East can burn the Bible. I'm angry that in what is supposed to be the land of opportunity, the best of the best, the melting pot where we have freedom of religion and accept all - that the people who choose to remain ignorant are given the privilege and attention of the press and spew their hatred and lies to one and all. I'm angry that they choose to remain ignorant.

And I'm worried. Today people I love will be getting on planes - a lot of people I care about will be getting on planes today, flying both to and from the US. The increased risk to their safety due to the ignorance and hatred of an American preacher is completely unnecessary. I don't expect there to be an incident - but Interpol has already identified 188 additional areas of increased threats. I'm angry that we continue to live in fear. Something needs to change.

No comments: