Friday, January 13, 2012

Polish Pottery

Last year I took a trip to Bolselawiec with the mother of my kid's friend while they, the kids, rather the senior class, were on a school trip.  Apparently, even though they were in Istanbul at the time, the girls had wanted to go pottery shopping too.  Well they both graduated and one moved away.  This is the first time since graduation we've all been back in Prague together so we scheduled a trip.

Here is the outcome - my purchases only - the monkey had her own.  I spent no more than $50 USD.



 What you see there, from the top left, is a rectangle serving dish, 2 cereal bowls (one is tilted so you can see inside it), another deeper bowl, a little teapot thingy  for teabags, 4 salad plates, 2 little tiny bowls, a big mug, and a spoon rest.

I love Polish pottery.  I love the colors and patterns and the heft to it. I started buying it in the US about 16 years ago, when I was in my early 20s. Part of what I like about it is that other than the 4 plates and the 2 bowls, nothing I have is the same - plates don't match bowls that don't match cups that don't match anything else.  But they work together.  If you break something you can just add something new and pretty and make a nice trip of it while you're at it.

2 comments:

http://mivvy.blogspot.com/ said...

This pottery look very pretty. Are there shops in Prague that sell this?

could you pass the peace please said...

There probably are but I don't know where. The pottery is exported all over the world. I bought my first piece of Polish pottery in a very farming small town in central California, so you could probably find some in Prague too.