Sunday, November 22, 2009

the pilgrims and their drinks

Today I went to teach the Russian family. On the way I saw two things that struck me - one was a woman carrying a grocery bag that was printed to look like a straw basket full of fresh healthy vegetables. The other was out in the suburbs in the backyard of a house I passed in the bus. They had gutted and beheaded a pig and strung it up by the hind-legs from the laundry line to drain into a bucket. A big dalmation was running around the yard sniffing the bucket but otherwise leaving the pig alone.

The boy and I had a good lesson and then I started with the daughter. Her understanding and speaking skills are more advanced so we incorporate more in to her session. Today we were studying about Pilgrims and the first Thanksgiving. After a brief overview of the difficulties the Pilgrims faced on the Mayflower there were some questions - such as what do you think the Pilgrims brought with them to prepare for the voyage, and then space for five answers. Her answers:

Good food
Lots of water
Vodka
Good clothes
Meat without worms

I explained that I don't think the Pilgrims drank vodka, and she was absolutely incredulous "What Jenny?!? No vodka! Are you sure?" I was met with such skepticism that I laughed and let her know I was pretty sure, but I could be wrong, but still I was fairly certain that the Pilgrims didn't drink vodka and that they probably hadn't even heard of it. I know she still thinks I'm wrong because everybody drinks vodka. She's twelve.

1 comment:

Adventures of Ananda in BC said...

Jen,
I am so sorry that your LL is such an ass! I hope that your new place is better than the old:)
I love reading your blog, I just wish my life was half as exciting as yours...for me though it's just about making it thru. Having a chronic illness is limiting, as well as boring to write about. I haven't had as many adventures as I thought I would:( ces't la vie.
I hope Coral is feeling better, I looked at your list and I think if you send me your address (new) that within a few weeks I can send you some stuff, the US dollar is weak... and Canada is catching up to it, but I still get pretty much everything tax free when you deduct the exchange.
the Olympics are coming in less than 40 days to Vancouver:p I ws hoping to get outta town (I hate what tourist do to the place I call home!, I hated that about SF too), but it looks like I may have to give that particular dream up, as it would cost too much to be gone for two weeks:(
truly Jen I hope things get smoother for both you and Coral in the coming new year.
I will add you to my list of people I chant for (I'm buddhist, not some weird chant thing just blessings on you and Coral)
I hope that at some point I can come to Prague and reacquaint our selves, and I would love to see the place through a locals eyes.
keep up the blogging, we read it:)
nonnie