Wednesday, December 9, 2009

things from home....

Here is a rather comprehensive list of things I'd miss and/or would love from home:

Jelly Bellies - bubblegum, cotton candy, watermelon, lemon-lime... just send me some jelly bellies please
slippers - furry woolly ones (size 9 - we're both a 9 but she needs them and I have some old ones that are still warm if not quite cozy)
socks - warm ones but not really thick ones, SmartWool kinda stuff
quality belts - for each of us.... the ones we've found here sorta fall apart (?) why does that happen I don't know, but there's an inner lining that likes to detach and then it's very difficult to use the belt
Books - specifically, The Book of Joby and stuff by Anne Bishop and Haruki Murakami (we have the Black Jewels Trilogy and the Wind-up Bird Chronicles) - there are more authors Coral's into but I have to find my list
Itunes cards - inspiration for new music is a bit harder to come by, and we lost most of our stuff when our laptop died a few months ago... so basically - music.
twin sheets - quality twin sheets, cotton, not jersey and high thread count
pictures of you - if you're reading this then we probably (?) know you and would like to have a photo of you for our wall... get it to my Mom and she'll get it to me
recipes - years ago I made a recipe book for someone I love very much, compiled of recipes from people who love her... so, if I've ever shared a meal with you, or a drink, or a laugh or a smile... send me a recipe and I'll put it in my own personal recipe book (I need your picture for this too - or pictures illustrating any difficult steps... or drawings if you're in to that, those work too)
postcards - send us picture postcards for our wall
the rug my grandma made me - i had set it aside to bring later and i haven't been back to get it... i'd really like to have it.
bumble and bumble products - Tonic and De-Frizz
Sonoma Taco Shop - their chips and salsas. I know they're only sold fresh in the restaurant, but I really do miss their chips and salsa.
Gillette Venus razor blades OK honestly, it's not like they don't sell them here, it's just that they're ridiculously expensive!!! It's something like $25USD for a pack of four! I can't easily reconcile spending that much on a razor blades! It's completely out of proportion with everything else... and, yes, I've tried other razors - blades and disposables - and have yet to find one that is an adequate substitute... and my legs are screaming at me for the experiments. Coral agrees with me on this one - she doesn't like any other blade either.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe you should try normal pediatric neurologist and go there with a fellow interpreter... Or have the Coral's documents translated...

Do you have a contract with a czech insurance company? Without it I think visiting doctors must be quite expensive for you... more expensive than for Czechs...

sarka

could you pass the peace please said...

We have foreigners insurance as required for our visas. It's beyond useless however, it only works if it's an "emergency" and I think by that they mean if you fall and break an arm or get hit by a car. I caught pneumonia and it did nothing. It's very expensive to see the doctor compared to normal Czech costs (1,200 kc instead of 30) but it's still less expensive than in the US. I don't mind paying it if the doctor will actually give guidance and pay attention to the patient... it's when they prey upon the English only crowd who have more limited options and take their money without actually giving their time or thought that it really makes me mad!

Anonymous said...

I understand you, I am sorry that you came across this type of doctor... Is it possible for you to get czech insurance?

sarka

could you pass the peace please said...

Yes, VZP my insurance is processing - I think that Coral can get insurance through my contract, but I don't know how to add her... I've asked a friend for help and am waiting to hear. My Czech lessons start, again, in 2 1/2 weeks and I'm more than ready - I hate being unable to take care of these issues for myself. Thanks for your kind words.