Saturday, October 4, 2008

Oh my God - you're like...!!!

Re-visiting some more boys in the computer lab, but later in the evening...

Somehow some sort of conversation started amongst the undergrads in the room of which I was marginally a participant - I was also watching comedy central on-line, so not really focused on their talk.

I don't really remember what they were talking about, but at some point I made a reference to my kid, and the guys were surprised I had a kid. I made some off the cuff remark about, yeah, she's not that much younger than you - and they all laughed, and one guy turned to me and said - "What - are you like 35?"

Not, 'What are you - like 35?' with 35 being the number of his actual guess, but much rather, 'What - (insert little laugh) are you like 35?' with 35 being just a ridiculous number.

Well, I am 35, so I said, "Yeah, I am."

And he didn't believe me. He thought I was joking too. And he and the other American questioned me again - and again I answered truthfully - to which I got

"Oh my God - you're like a dinosaur!"

Joking of course, but now joking aside, despite the few antiquities jokes that followed it was rather nice to have developed a dynamic with the frequent lab attendees where the're comfortable enough to joke around, knowing I can take it.

That, and I totally appreciated that they followed it up with - I thought she was 25 at the most!

No comments: