Wednesday, October 28, 2009

what the heck is the violence about???

There is a different kind of violence here, a different kind of crime, but this is more focused on violence.

The first time I was exposed to domestic violence was when our former neighbor hit his mother in the face (he was well over 6 feet tall), knocking her off her feet and in to the wall. She was shorter than me. Then I saw it in my old preschool - not nearly as extreme, but still shocking for me.

Twice now I've witnessed public domestic abuse. Once was a mother who at first I thought was consoling another adult, then realized it was a teenager, and thought that her physical intimacy was not a comforting presence but rather a threatening presence. It became abundantly clear when she started striking the sobbing girl in the face, slapping her repeatedly - quickly and hard. I was in a tram and we were stopped. It was a few moments due to the loading/unloading, and then traffic. The girl must have been hit 8 times, at least.

Today it was at a metro stop. A ways down the waiting area a young woman was sitting on the footrails crying and a man crouched down in front of her. I noticed him as it was a funny position, not one of intimacy which would be warranted in her situation. Again, I realized it was more threatening (I had my headphones on and couldn't hear a thing.) He was leaning in to her, his anger was clear, the tension in his face and his mannerisms, clenched jaw, pursed lips, veins and tendons bursting out all over the place... and then he headbutted her, slamming her head back into the marble pillar behind her.

The metro came and he walked away while she wiped her eyes. I thought he walked away, rather, but he just walked around the pillar and boarded the metro with her, but then got off without her.

Both of this instances I've found shocking and horrifying and felt so helpless... my heart hurts to watch these women take this sort of treatment... and more so that it's so casual. The people thought nothing of attacking the person besides them over whom they had more power. It was such a non-thought that they did it freely in public for everyone to see.

I just wrote about the gang rapes... a horrific example of societal failure, but this sort of violence and aggression should not be culturally condoned either. Who is it that teaches their children that you hit the people you care about? Who teaches their kids that you hurt those you trust you? Why would you want to teach your children to expect to either accept or dole out physical pain? Why not teach your kids how to speak, to listen, to love, to respect, how to be happy without causing harm. Why not try to teach your children how to live in a world that is better than what is surrounding you now. Without that hope, without the idea, there will not be change.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

true, its nasty but at least they arent getting shot..who teaches that everyone can has the right to carry a gun?

Marilyn said...

Truly telling and revealing post about 'Old World' thinking. Where a person exerts their control through physical methods, fear, and if they only felt empowered enough to be able to stop the violence.

The anonymous comment of saying, "at least they aren't getting shot" is ignorant. It's like minimizing the problem.


The game is control. For a small person to exert control over something in their lives through violence of a weaker person, instead of loving them and realizing that love grows through nuturing them. Nothing grows in fear. Cultivating seeds of hatred where abusers grow abusers...is no way to build a heritage.

Not everyone has the right to hit...nor carry a gun...violence is never a solution on any level.

Anonymous said...

Calling someone you dont know ignorant is ignorant. Especially when you repeat my point in your own post.I just point out things to people getting on their high horse. I dont say they are wrong..I merely want to draw attention to some point or other.And by the way miss non ignorant-Is it minimizing the problem or only
"like minimizing" it. And I can continue... about your blanket generalising about "old world". Do not get me started on US. You guys got a loooong way to go befre you can open your mouths again with any kind of backup. "Cultivating seeds of hatred where abusers grow abusers...is no way to build a heritage. " you got balls. ill say that. Now go study what US has been up to in that particular field and then shhhhhhhhh. And by the way. If you hadnt called me ignorant then this little comment wouldnt be getting written now. So you see, you are right, you cultivated my anger with your name calling and see what happened. damn.septics