Friday, November 19, 2010

Homeless Outreach

So, my mother wanted me to post about this after a rather short conversation and story-telling of my night.

I went to this Homeless Outreach, an event every three weeks that stems from my friends' Youth Group. We go around and pass out food and clothing to homeless men on the streets, and they pass out little cards that explain their Christian faith and how they can find out more. I generally pass on that part, as I'm not Christian, but I think it's important to help the homeless.

We had gone around for about an hour in the rain, trying to find homeless people, and had a rather unpleasant experience with one man, who was somewhat drunk, yelling in the face of one of our group members. We gave him some food, is somewhat hesitantly, and moved on quickly. We later ran into another group doing the same thing (we had split up at the beginning into about six groups to cover more ground) and stayed for a while at a train station that had a lot of homeless people hiding from the cold. One of the men was more friendly than usual, singing "Hallelujah" and later pulling out his harmonica to play a bit when he saw my friend's guitar. The most touching moment was when he, while speaking rapid Czech I couldn't understand, placed his fist over his heart, and then placed it over my friend's. It was a simple gesture, and I don't know what he said, but that simple gentleness in his face was most definitely worth walking in the rain for two hours and dealing with some drunk people. Most definitely.


-The Kid

No comments: