Wednesday, November 17, 2010

a little truth about moving

If you know me then you probably don't know this as a bit of personal truth as my life in no way reflects this...

I hate moving.

Hate it. And yet I do it a lot... you all might engage in an annual spring-cleaning, for me, us, it's more like the annual relocation. While never usually going far (other than the one over-seas trip and college, everything else has been pretty limited to within a few hours of my hometown) we just keep moving and moving and moving. I'm probably the most nomadic yet least venturesome person I know.

And here I sit on Freedom and Democracy Day, a national holiday, completely boxed in with stuff - all the stuff we've either packed in our numerous suitcases or collected over the past few years... The Kid is off at a slumber party and baking day (raising money for her senior trip... the only thing that can get her in and out of the oven) and I'm amazed at how much we've got and have never used or have used up and kept... Too much. And now I have to move it all into a box, again. We're not going far... across the river and a jot north on the map... but we're going. The day before Thanksgiving (another national holiday, just not in this country... but we're celebrating it nonetheless).

Once we get there it will be glorious. Truly. The place is beautiful - more spacious, more refined, in one of those up and coming renovated artsy areas full of parks and farmers markets and such... nice terrace, plenty of space to BBQ and the kid has the option of a little cat should she decide to make that commitment... I'm looking forward to it - this is going to be our last move in Prague. Our landlord lives in another country and has kept this as income property until she returns to her homeland in the very distant future so we don't need to worry about her selling it out from underneath us without notice, everything is in perfect working order and the building is a co-op with an on-call handyman so I don't expect problems with the structure or appliances or the other tenants, the location is convenient to transport, and things should be smooth. If I should move again in this country it would only be conceivable to me, at this point, that either it would be because the Kid had returned to the US and I no longer need the space - or because we both move AWAY.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jen, so where exactly are you going, which part of Praha?


Perth