Sunday, January 30, 2011

books and movies and such

We got hit with mild food poisoning this weekend after some take-away Indian shrimp... that won't be happening again. Saturday was spent recovering, then the school banquet and today I woke up with a head cold - couldn't stand up and see straight at the same time.

While I was resting I read (I could see till I was upright)... and I thought about all of our books and movies and such (I watched a movie too, Ella Enchanted, I love sweet little fairy tales when I don't feel well). And I thought about all the books I've read, we've read, and movies we've watched - and I think I may start writing book reviews here for those of you who also like to read. I know that I get exposure to some authors I wouldn't necessarily encounter in the US and the same thing with films... so I'm thinking maybe I'll write about movies too.

That last bit is more based upon a conversation I had with someone recently - the reviewers here are intelligent and well-read but so damn pretentious! It's as if the reviewers for the local English language papers have to reinforce that they're native English speakers by using the most convoluted language possible when they write! It's horrible. I hate reading the reviews... it's like something from a different era - for some reason they make me think of the British class system in India or something - so darn snobby and full of themselves. In this language is the dividing line rather than such an obvious ethnic division. Now that I think about it, I've had this conversation with quite a few people and not once did I instigate it.

These reviews aree occasionally a source of humor unto themselves. And yes, honestly I can picture a good number of the local reviews being written by mutton chopped men bursting through their tweed vests, chained by the gold pocket watches, ashing a fine cigar and declaring "Here, here!" and harrumphing a few times before mumbling "Here, here!" again, then catching a carriage to the club where they debate the merits of the latest cricket match or snifter of brandy or some other such nonsense.

I'm not saying I'll be any good at giving you reviews, but mine aren't intended for the "everyman", no, mine are intended primarily for people who know me and know my tastes and are quite likely share them... not necessarily but at least you'll understand where I'm coming from. Or not... in which case my thoughts on those sorts of things may give you an idea as to whose blog you're reading :)

No comments: