Thursday, January 28, 2010

a very brief sunny moment

It's pretty darn cold here. The news this morning was talking about the extreme cold spell, and mentioned that temperatures have been down to -30C. Well below freezing. Trust.

Yesterday and today, both, for very brief moements the sun came out. I didn't quite know what to do with myself as it was bright and shiny (reflecting off the snow it was blindingly bright) and not warm. I have to wait for my tram so I stood in the sun and imagined I felt a difference between my front side and my back.

Today I was walking across Namesti Miru on the way to the tram. The big square has little footpaths shoveled in to the snow. None of them lead to the park benches. Despite that, there was an elderly couple who had gone off-track. They sat in the square, on the park bench, in the sun, chatting. Snow was up to their ankles while they talked, and it was -4, but they sitting in the oh so glorious sun.

It was so cold last night I couldn't sleep. I had on flannel jammy pants, a thermal shirt, knee high socks (thanks Aunt Margie), a down comforter and a down sleeping bag on top. My fingers, my neck, my face felt like they were in a permanent state of de-frost - no so cold you can't feel it, just cold enough for it to hurt. The heat was on full blast.

No comments: