Friday, April 24, 2009

hunt for a new home

My year lease is ending in a month. Yes, I know I haven't been here a year but I've had a flat I've been paying rent on for a year now, and the one year lease I signed is coming to an end.

We live fairly remote from the center and I'd like to change that. Today I was scheduled to see two flats. Scheduled, mind you.

Flat #1 - this flat is 1,000kc more a month than what I pay right now (translates roughly to $50 USD). HOWEVER - it is cute, clean, adorable, and right in the center - less than 5 minutes from Mustek (in Wenceslas Square), literally around the corner from the Vodickova tram stop. We would be 15 minutes from our lives' focal points rather than 45. It is 1 bedroom, with 2 beds, a large living room and separate kitchen/dining area, with a side room for storage (former maid quarter, literally the size of a twin bed), another storage room, an American style shower/tub combo, and entry way. No terrace but plenty of windows. To get there you open a metal gate (it is opened during the day as businesses function on the zero floor) walk through the courtyard, crossing a cement parking area, enter the building on the opposite side and walk up to the 2nd floor.

Flat #2 - not as immediately accessible - from Mala Strana it's 17 minutes by tram. Not remote either, and only one tram stop fro the red line (we don't use that though), and maybe 25 minutes total to CISP (it takes Coral about 25 minutes right now not counting walking time.... so close to the same.) However, that's all I can tell you about this one as I got lost on my way, my battery died, and I missed the realtor. It's listed as 2,000 kc less than what I"m paying right now but doesn't include non-necessity utilities like the other one. To get there you open the door to the apartment building on the street - unknown if there is a lift or not, or what floor it's on.

Flat #1 - above and beyond the basic utilities it includes cable and internet and a tv and very complete modern furnishings - TONS of storage space both built in and with wardrobes
Flat #2 - includes basic utilities

Flat #1 - no commission fee, a deposit only
Flat #2 - deposit plus a commission fee of 50% of the total monthly fees (I think that will be about 7,500kc)

Flat #1 - very friendly owner, he showed it to me, willing to purchase and supply whatever we need - bedding, blankets, furnishings, etc.
Flat #2 - no idea as the owner is not involved in the rental process

Flat #1 - location - in the middle of the city but buffered from the noise by being the building inside the courtyard - cement, unattractive building with views on to flat unattractive roofs and a parking lot - very convenient to shops, restaurants, food stands, clubs, etc...
Flat #2 - situated 2 blocks from the tram, across a park and a playground, the building faces on to a well-kept school, quite attractive, quiet location... it has one neighborhood mini-shop but not a convenient grocery store, close to Cross Club, not far from Letna, near the Tesla Stadium

Here's the deal - I need what money I have to pay tuition. I am working like crazy and taxing my body and looking for a new job to replace the old ones... I have an interview on Monday to teach 1 lesson a week but at a higher rate than any of my other lessons (yay!). I am also trying to find something else to supplement us while I am in school. Fifty USD goes a lot farther here than you probably realize. It makes a big difference - I'm not getting child support, and am trying to function on my own (but props to Mom who just helped me get current with Coral's tuition and took a bit of pressure off my back!) - I think the flat closer to town would be a good choice. The difference in rent is technically 1,000 crowns, but our internet costs almost 800 crowns, so it's more like 200 crowns in actuality.

I would really appreciate thoughts and input as I should make a decision soon.

Thanks!

No comments: