Sunday, April 19, 2009

random encounters with musical men

Earlier this week my friend's band was playing at Red Room. I posted a CS event up and a few people joined me for dinner beforehand and another joined us there. Coral came along too, for a while. After a bit she went home to do some homework. I walked her to the corner, and then the next corner, to where we could see the tram stop. Then waited while she crossed over.

As I stood there 2 guys came around the corner towards me, obviously upset, and one speaking in English... They were carrying bags and looking for something so I asked if they needed help. Yes, they did. They'd just arrived from Germany and had taken a taxi which had dropped them at their hostel - which was tucked away inside a courtyard... they'd found it at then end of a flight of un-lit stairs after a great deal of searching. Upon knocking a resident down the hallway let them know it was closed as it had burned up inside a few days before. On Easter to be exact.

So these guys didn't know anyone and they didn't have a place to stay - I brought them back to the club with me and the CSers sorted them with directions, things to see, and one walked them to a hotel where they booked a room. They then came back and bought us all drinks... and danced... and we moved on to Nebe for more dancing, and then to Vagon with even more...

High energy, lots of fun, eloquent English combined with quick humor, and apparently one of them is some sort of German rock (pop?) singer.

While I got home a lot later than intended I had a great time... and that sort of encounter, strangers who embrace you and then have facets to their personalities most non-natives speakers can't convey... are far more common here, for me, than I could have imagined over there.... (where my there is, not necessarily where you are!)

No comments: