Monday, February 15, 2010

Fencing... and maturing

Coral and I found the fencing school today... we sat in and watched a lesson to get a feel for it. At first it was rather daunting, lots of people running around in an obvious order but completely undecipherable to our English-only minds, but then the mass broke down in to groups based on skill and things started to look manageable. It reminded me of beginning the violin - not a lot going on but learning the perfect form which requires physical correction and lots and lots of repetition.

The teachers don't speak English, but one of the adult students did and came and gave us a brief overview shortly after we arrived. Midway through the group practices she came back and let us know a young boy was a native English speaker who also doesn't speak Czech... as he was doing pretty well it was nice to know. After the group practice it was interesting to see the one on one workouts... from absolute beginners in t-shirts and leggings and without a foil, to the more advanced students in the full body suits, masks, and electronic training set up - they were sparring for points on the far side of the gym.

About three quarters of the way through I asked Coral what she thought of it. Her response? "I don't think I'm going to like it all the time, but, I think it will be good for me." She goes back on Wednesday.

No comments: