Wednesday, February 17, 2010

what are we doing here?!?

The weather is miserable, snow on the ground and in the air. Cigarette smoke thicker than fog. Unapproachable peoples begrudgingly toss your silverware and come just short of throwing your food in your lap - and this is considered service. Connections leave, are made anew and then they leave too. And then this....

The HAPPIEST Cities in the US

Today, everyone from #5 is writing and posting pictures about spring. Apparently spring has sprung. It's warm, flowers are blooming, little green shoots are poking through cracks in the asphalt, people are pulling out their capris and flip-flops and short sleeves are making a necessary appearance.

Last night I changed out of my work clothes and into my sweats, t-shirt, sweatshirt, long wool coat and thick Columbia winter boots to walk around the corner for a massage. I passed on the scar only because I knew I was getting an oil massage and didn't want to risk getting it dirty.

I wouldn't necessarily say I'm homesick, but I'd definitely say I'm sick of this weather and, yes, a little jealous. And, it may sound odd as up to this point I've talked only about the weather, but it makes me miss the people I'd be spending pleasant weather with... BBQs and farmers markets, driving cross town with the windows down, the beach, just sitting on the back porch at Em's (who's moved since I was there last and now, I hope, has a new back porch) with some food and drink and excellent company. Walking down 4th Street - which has lost some iconic shops in the past year... I miss the people the most.

For so, oh so many reasons, I hope to make it back there pretty soon.

No comments: