Thursday, February 11, 2010

whuh type a whuh?

It's not often I call an American call center, but every now and then I have to...

I usually have important mail stuff sent to my state-side address and then it can be dealt with immediately if need be... scanned, sent on, whatever, but eyes get to it in a timely fashion.

Today I had to take the plunge. For a shocking start to the call, instead of being rerouted to India I was greeted with a southern accent... some real whitebread charm. All I wanted was to change my address, and before starting the process, I stated, "What you have is my US mailing address, but I want to know if you can send it to me overseas... I'm not in the US." The response, "Not a problem."

So I proceed to give him my address, spelling it out, street name first, then the house number, city, country, zip... and when I ask to confirm it, he says, "Huh??? Whuh type a address is this?!?" And I said, "It's in the Czech Republic... in Europe... I'm not in the US." There was a pause.

"Ah don think Ah kin dooo this." I can't capture the tone here, but it was one that, in person, would have start off with 'Ma'am' and an arched eyebrow, if he hadn't already been completely kerflummoxed.

No comments: