Monday, April 12, 2010

when life carries on

When you move away from all you know and love, you know that life carries on. Now, when I think of that statement - life carries on - I think of life continuing to move forward, the sun will rise and set, work will be work, taxes will be paid, people will fall in and out of love, gardens will grow, babies will be born, possibly even people will marry... things like that.

What you don't think about is that friends will die. You forget that death is also a part of life. It's what happens when a life has been carried out.

Since moving here a number of people I know, with varying degrees of intimacy, have died. Earlier today I found out about a few more guys I knew when I was young - they were troubled and had short, difficult lives. It was surprising but not shocking - and it made me pause a moment to reflect upon my own mortality. But, in the few hours that have passed my story has changed.

Today, right now, this very minute, I am mourning the loss of another woman, one whom mattered more to me than she knew, Lucy Thomas. She was the mother/mother-in-law/grandmother of our friends - a three generation family living together back home. She was in many ways like another grandmother to Coral. She was kind and funny, thoughtful, strong willed and intelligent - and she cared deeply for those around her. We are lucky to have been included in her love's sphere.

It's a little hard to envision the household without her. My heart and prayers and love are all headed back to her family. I love you all so much, and I miss you, right this moment, more than I ever imagined possible.



No comments: