Thursday, April 1, 2010

Beckomo and my sick lungs

So for months now we've had a trip planned to Vienna with my friend who it traveling from the US for her birthday and Easter. She arrives tomorrow and our train tickets are for Saturday, returning on Monday.

Here's the dilemma - I'm sick. Not fever sick, or caught the flu sick, but sick as in my lungs are sick and I've got something going on coupled with this crazy asthma stuff. I'm tired and working to breathe. Been taking antibiotics and other stuff for a bit and have minimal improvement... just got home from my 2nd doctor appointment this week and may have another tomorrow... definitely one on Tuesday.

Her advice - she'd prefer I stay home and rest - I'd like to rest in my room in Vienna, ideally. She wanted me to get familiar with the emergency number and ambulance services as all private doctors are closed for the holiday and she's concerned that my breathing may get worse, in which case I must take an ambulance to the hospital, per her instruction.

I don't think I'm getting any worse - I know I'm getting somewhat better. The approach here is so different than the US - when I got sick last year I got antibiotics plus the Vicodin cough suppressant, plus some other stuff and was told to rest a few days till my fever went down. Here - antibiotics, steroids for my lungs, decongestant, cough stuff and homeopathic support stuff and at least 10 days at home. Cost wise - these 2 doctors visits plus the different Rxs (I just switched antiobiotics, so 2 full treatments of 2 different kinds, plus all the other stuff) - all the stuff that I've had here - including my extra co-pay for translations services - all of it is less than the cost of the antibiotics in the US, far less than the cost of a single trip to to the doctor.

I just want to feel better and go on my little trip, even if I just sleep it away in the hotel! I have to call her tomorrow and let her know how I'm feeling. BLERGH!

No comments: