Monday, March 29, 2010

Another respiratory infection - which led to thoughts on my name

I had to go to the doctor today - I could feel it starting last week and hoped that some cold medicine and vitamins would ward it off, but I was wrong. My little cold turned, along with the weather which is now dreary and wet and grey, and once again I have a lung infection, tonsillitis, and am dealing with "seasonal asthma".

When I met the doctor today she addressed me by my full first name - Jennifer.

Only she didn't say Jennifer like you (Americans, I mean) and I would... She called me "Jennnafur"

Which got me thinking, during my brief wait, of all the ways people have twisted and tortured what was the most common female name for years. Here's a little bit for you - some are my phonetic interpretation of their pronunciation and some are what has been written:

Jennnafur
Jiniphur
Jenafur
Jenapher
Jeffer
Jay-a-fur
Yen (these people, more than one, have seen it spelled and then said it aloud)
Yennifer
Jennifree
Jenn
Jennifpher

There may be more - I've definitely been called other things... but this is it for now.

I'm going to go rest my weary lungs and work really hard on getting better before my friend catches her flight in SFO in the next couple of days.


No comments: