Saturday, March 27, 2010

objectionable behavior

Let me preface this post with three very relevant bits of information:

1. Drug laws here are really lax.
2. Dogs are loved and allowed in grocery stores, restaurants, trams - just about everywhere.
3. You can smoke just about everywhere in this country.

Last night I was a FebioFest - primarily a film festival it also has a large music festival which takes place in an underground parking garage. I was with some friends, their friends and their friends' friends... etc.

This Czech guy stopped by with his dog, took a seat on a bench nearby, pulled out his papers, tobacco, a filter and some pot and struck up a conversation with an acquaintance of mine - some one whom he knew. His dog was a great big lab and quite friendly and greeting everyone in doggy waddling distance with a big brush-up, a fierce tail wag and a loud bark.

A few moments after this guy joins us security approaches him and he stands up to greet them - he's still rolling his joint and as he stands up to talk with the security guard he literally sticks drugs in the guy's face. They have a bit of a discussion which I couldn't follow - but the jist of it was the guy was going to have to leave.

Not because of the pot but because the dog wasn't allowed - I think the barking in an enclosed concert area was distracting or something. And the guy was told he'd have to go up another level to smoke as the concert level was strictly no-smoking.

This was all translated for me by the person he'd been talking to - I asked what was going on when I saw my acquaintance shaking his head. We're both expats, different countries, but we were both a little incredulous about what was being viewed as objectionable behavior.




No comments: