Tuesday, March 16, 2010

neurology and physical therapy.

I spent the majority of 10 (plus) years with my life centered around my physical being... lots of hospitals, tests, needles, scans, doctors and PT. The end result - some permanent nerve damage, chronic pain, mobility limitations, and a few other wonky things that I'm stuck with or need to monitor. Last week I misstepped and now I'm off work and home from school. Today I'm feeling a bit out of sorts and contemplating my continued existence on this continent (as in, why am I here, still, what are my intentions in being here, and what about going home).

I went to the doctor yesterday and he wanted to start sticking needles in my back full of medication (?) I didn't understand. I passed so I could come home and translate the words and think about it... and so he gave me some pills and told me to call him in the morning. I called a short while ago, and based on the lack of improvement, I now have to go to the neurologist, today, and start PT and get those shots. (It's lidocaine, not a big deal, but he used the local word for it and I didn't know.)

While my doctor visit and the medication cost me less than $10 total, I'm far from thrilled about having the 'opportunity to take advantage' of my health insurance. I wish a lot of things in life were different sometimes, only momentarily, as after some resolution I find that I'm grateful for the challenges I've surmounted... but really, it would be nice if I had a little less physical pain in my personal challenges. Please.

No comments: