Tuesday, March 23, 2010

where would the relationship be?

It's funny how you meet someone and you have a connection - or not. Here I make connections with people that I may not have made had I met them back home - whether that's good or bad I can't say, it just that in my comfort zone I'm less likely to step out.

I was talking with someone recently about getting in to relationships - the opinion was thrown about that many people they enter into relationships with people that they wouldn't be in if they were back home. I'm sure there can be any number of reasons but the human desire for connection is probably a pretty strong one. It creates difficulties that require more time than I'm giving it right now.... right now I was just thinking about how hard it must be, to be in a relationship as an expat, with another expat from a 3rd country... knowing it works while you're both on equal footing, equally unsure footing, but not sure it would work in either party's homeland. Where do you go? Are you doomed to live a life of happiness outside of your homelands? What kind of relationship is that if empowering one party by moving to their native area would jeopardize the connection? And I am actually really curious as to how many cross-cultural foreign established relationships work when it is relocated to one party's native country. (It's different than getting involved with a local... not what I'm talking about here.) I think I might research it later but if anyone has any statistics or sources please do share.

No comments: