Thursday, January 29, 2009

czech lessons...

Last week I had my first official czech lesson - not super official, like through a school, but official enough. One of my students offered to teach me some time back and I finally took him up on it. (The really nice kid who brought the apples and cider.)

He asked me to meet him at a specific metro on the outskirts of town. I figured that was near his home, convenient for him, and we'd probably go to a cafe or pub and sit for a bit and get started.

WAS I EVER WRONG!!!

We met at the metro and he took me to his home where I met his mother, his brother, had the grand tour, and was served coffee and cookies before we ever sat down in the living room. (Upon entering a true Czech home you remove your shoes along with your coat, hat, and bag - and are offered house shoes for your visit.)

After a short bit his mother came in to check on us and let us know she was ready for us in the kitchen. We then went to the kitchen were I was served three kinds of crepes and more coffee and mineral water - she was cooking just for me and my student/teacher. Around that time his father came home, and introductions started all over again.

After eating my lesson resumed in the living room - and I can now saw that while I may not have "learned" all my numbers I can understand them much much better than I was able to before - and I can count, very very slowly.

No comments: