Friday, January 16, 2009

US Airways... January 15, 2009...

Yesterday my parents were taking a nice flight from the California coast to the East Coast in advance of their journey to the inauguration... They flew US Airways.

Yesterday a US Airways flight out of New York City crashed in to the Hudson. Fortunately, and amazingly, there was only one injured person and no fatalities.

At some point in time I realized that I did not know what flight my parents were on. It wasn't as simple as calling my grandparents or another relative as I found out about the crash when it was a reasonable hour here and not over there.

I also realized that I don't think anyone in my family has my actual phone number, beyond my parents... and as they were traveling I doubt they have it on them... we speak via iChat and Skype exclusively.

There was some anxiety as I was getting news about the plane but somehow not seeing where it was headed... at some point I realized they wouldn't have been on the flight - and had it confirmed this morning through an email from my sister.

However - those moment of anxiety really reinforced for me how isolated I am from my family. Should something, god forbid, tragic happen, that I am pretty much out of the loop... and it was uncomfortable.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

those of us related to you would be most delighted to have your phone number. i am familiar with the feeling of isolation you mentioned and would be happy to help provide a bit of relief. hope your head is feeling better! :)