Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Retro Music Hall and Midi Lidi

So last night I went out to this concert put on by a radio station... details could be found right HERE if you're interested... and there were a number of bands playing that I really enjoyed.

Now I've been to a number of places and had a great time and have never felt the need to blog about it before... what's different?

It was the first time I ever felt truly like I was in my peer group but out of my range... culturally. It was almost all czech - for a number of reasons - czech musicians, czech songs, czech advertising... I didn't have a clue who these people were or why the crowds were freaking out... but I really enjoyed it.

The first one to make an impression on me was this group with 2 guys and a dj and the music was nonstop - it was this weird funky house, retro, disco, regga, rap collision sung by a guy who also does opera. And they sung in Czech, English, some Spanish, and possibly Italian for an instant.. I've no idea.

Search as I have, I still haven't found a clip for you with just the guys I saw last night. I think the singer and the dj come from a famous czech funk band, Monkey Business, and have no idea about the other singer/rapper guy... except apparently his name is James Kohl... don't quote me on the spelling as I've no idea - that's what is sounded like when he kept saying "james kohl, ya'll... what's my name??"

The last group was Midi Lidi who were awesome. A friend told me Midi - which is a type of electronic recording that I am familiar with - is referring to electronic music... and that Lidi means people... so it's like Electronica People... Now, they're a bit different - three band members that take the stage in a row standing behind computers, keyboards, drum machines, and other stuff that all needs to be plugged in... with a white screen behind them... and they were great. Really enjoyed them.

I also searched for them and found some clips and videos that were highly polished reflected the music, their show and their sound -see the first clip - the second clip I'm posting better catches their energy as I experienced it last night...



No comments: