Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Meeting People

This it the first time in my life I've had to really focus, truly make a concerted effort, to meet people. There are stages where you might be more attention to that - after a break-up or a move or some other life alteration... but here, you really need to make the effort.

And while you may flounder at first you'll soon find it's not hard to meet people... meeting people you like and connect with is difficult the world over, but at least you can meet and interact with people here on a fairly regular basis.

IF YOU STEP OUTSIDE - literally, get the heck out of your house! and get out of yourself, too!!!

There are tremendous advantages to living in the digital age... I can't imagine moving around like this even just a few decades back! Here you find your expat site, your Meet-In site, your Internations, your Facebook groups, your CouchSurfing meetings, your school site, your .... whatever your interests are you can find a social group addressing them on-line.

And then you go. Get out. Be uncomfortable for a few minutes, shake some hands, kiss a few cheeks, laugh a bit when you feel hollow inside and soon enough you'll be laugh and embracing and feeling genuine joy along with the actions.

I've met more people here than I can count... and people find me on facebook often - we met at such and such... you were with so and so. And even though at the moment I met them I was drowning in social overload I can recall who they are, who you are, and am grateful for the effort and continued contact and know I've met one more person I look forward to running in to the next time I'm at an event... a friendly face, a funny story, someone witty or wise...

And I'm grateful.. Or, I'm great-full... they both work cause it make you feel pretty darn good to realize... gosh darn it, people like me :)

No comments: