Saturday, February 28, 2009

TV has FINALLY infiltrated my LIFE!!!

I've avoided having cable television for years. There are very few shows we would watch with any regularity, and those we would only watch off either DVD or Netflix... online. It was a rare and wonderful treat when we would catch a first-run episode of anything. Last year we started with Ugly Betty on iTunes... that was the one concession to current programing that we made.... and Heroes aired the day after on Netflix.

The point, in the US, was to avoid the influx of commercial programming, retain some autonomy by not subjecting our minds to what the TV LAND people think is what we should watch, wear, buy, eat, and think.

It's good.

Here, however, it's different. First - I don't have an actual TV. I did in the US but we only watched movies. Here I watch movies, dvd, iTunes, and some shows online (different sites other than Netflix, the repertoire is still expanding).

And now I've come to realize I may need to get cable. I may need to go and buy a television.

YES - I live in a land where I can't understand the language, but I need a tv. Why?

Because there, apparently, is a fair amount of English language programming available, and my classes and daily conversation are chock full of pop culture references.


POP CULTURE? IN PRAGUE? WOULDN'T THAT ALL BE IN CZECH??? (you may ask)

(and I would answer) Yes. Yes. No.

It's all about AMERICAN TELEVISION PROGRAMMING! I've never even SEEN an episode of Lost. I've just discovered Dexter. I haven't watched 24 since the second season... and it goes on and on on. Mad Men??? True Blood? Huh??The Office and 30 Rock - just discovered those too.

I need to watch up on my native television programming in order to be able to fully participate in in my in-class discussions. Do you have any idea how LAME that is?!?!?

BTW - if you own any of these or other shows that you think belong in the current pop culture lexicon, please send me a disc or two. Much gratitude!

No comments: