Thursday, February 12, 2009

So embarrassed...

I was in my first class the other day... and was so freakin mortified to be American! You hopefully won't hear that from me often, but this time it totally applies.

I was in my class with a disproportionate number of exchange students and then masters students.... Sub-Cultures - Music, Literature, and Film.... The teacher was reviewing the syllabus when there was a cacophony of complaints...

"You mean we have to write EIGHT PAGES??" "We need to use these research DATABASIS?" "I don't even have INTERNET in my HOUSE!" "That is so much WORK!" "I'm not even getting credit for this and this is SO DEMANDING!:

And on and on and on... it was unreal! The whining and complaining were relentless - and the teacher, who is very cool and way too nice, said, if you're not getting credit then it won't matter if you fail...

And the response, "Well, it's not like I came over here to sit in a class and FAIL it!"

And I wanted to turn around and say "JARGHH!! SHUT UP!! You came here to go to school, it's not a vacation. They don't have a separate curriculum and grading scale for exchange students... you're here to work in a different culture so do it - and no internet in your home? Most of the students are from central or eastern Europe and many don't have a COMPUTER in the home so suck it up!!"

I did say the last part.

I was embarrassed to be associated with them. Urgh.

No comments: