Wednesday, February 16, 2011

haunted?

Last night, about 3 am I was woken to a cacophony of sounds - I couldn't figure out what was going on but there so many voices and noises and thumps and bumps and clashing snippets of music... I didn't really want to know. BUT it was in my house. Downstairs. Where the kid's room is. So I got up to investigate.

My laptop - which was closed, locked and sleeping - had suddenly triggered every stored movie/tvshow that had been streamed and paused (there were a lot... we tend to find the shows we like once or twice a week and load all the new ones we need to catch up on so they're ready when we're ready). Every single episode was playing... on a closed laptop at 3 in the morning. I found myself looking at the latched black triangle, wondering what in the hell happened and then thinking... I don't really, not really, want to know.

I had to open my laptop, unlock it, and stop each video. It was tremendously loud and totally freaky. A locked and sleeping computer should never spontaneously start playing stored data. Not ever never.

While I was sitting on the couch pausing all of these screens and trying to calmly think about the freaky happenings so late at night/early in the morning, from the far end of the room came the cascading sound of glass. The neatly stacked and washed dinner dishes that had been securely set to dry collapsed in to the sink. There wasn't a strong wind, it's freezing out and the windows are closed (although based on the reason I was down there to begin with things being closed don't seem to matter) and there weren't any little pets or pests running around. The dishes spontaneously moved after I came downstairs to check the computer that was spontaneously spitting out sounds.

I didn't sleep very well last night.

No comments: