Sunday, February 20, 2011

Oh Eddy St. Scone Works - how you've stuck with me!

One morning, many years ago, I went for a walk with a boyfriend down the Eddy St. hill heading towards Van Ness (San Francisco, CA). We stopped at this tiny little whole in the wall for some food and coffee. It was one of those places where the hours and days don't always make sense and by the time you get to the counter they've usually run out of most of what they were selling. It's a treasure. Scone Works. Can't recommend it enough - freshly baked scones and muffins in a little store front shop run by the baker. You are lucky to be graced by her tasty goodness.

The best scone I have ever tasted - one of the best flavor combinations I've ever encountered - was delivered to my mouth from her shop - still warm from the oven the flavors combined to form an ever lasting impression. I've been searching for another Banana Pistachio scone ever since.

I have never encountered it again.

Tonight - for the first time ever, we made Banana Pistachio bread. Not quite the same as the scone but still, the flavors didn't let me down. I wish, one of the few times I'll wish for corporate spread, but I do wish the Scone Works I experienced so many years ago, and on the other side of the world, was a franchise. I wish I could walk in and get a fresh hot scone and a cup of coffee from the baker who seemed to bake more for baking than her customers, I wish I could have that taste explosion again. I've never tried to make the scone - I can't match her recipe and anything less would only taint the memory. But if you've made one let me know how it was. And if you're ever in San Francisco and want a warm weekday breakfast treat, you should check out Scone Works. I hope she's still there. Maybe next year I'll be able to see for myself.


No comments: