Wednesday, February 16, 2011

student remarks

Today during our break the students went a bit off-topic for a bit. It happens frequently, but it's not too often they make me laugh.

Somehow, I'd come back from break and missed the segue in to this, but somehow one guy was talking about not being religious - and since he's not, if there's a heaven and a hell he'll end up in hell when he dies but he'll be ok with that since he loves Bush - and Bush and Cheney and a few other of his idols will be there too... I missed the logic behind it and there was some debate about Bush as he's so religious, blah blah blah... I really had sorta tuned it out for a bit, until the other guy (yes, there are 2 men and 2 men only - if you want to meet a cute smart girl in this city that will have to engage with you in a friendly interactive and intellectually stimulating environment to you I suggest you contact me asap) the other guy chimed in, "Bush is not going to hell. Bush is retarded. He can't be held accountable for anything." It was said with such a matter-of-fact you silly boy sort of attitude I couldn't help but laugh.

It's interesting as the make-up of the class is so culturally and geographically diverse there's not one student that shares a similar socio/cultural/political reference point with another and I am never quite sure if their comments are meant to incite others (about half are, I think), or devil's advocate statements (maybe 1/4) or are actual reflective of their beliefs (maybe, possibly the remaining 1/4 but a portion of this percentage could very well just be students running at the mouth to take up time and avoid classwork, speaking for the sheer pleasure of hearing the sound of their own voice, talking to fill time while struggling to find their train of thought, and things like that). However, today I believe both boys made heartfelt statements.

No comments: