Saturday, November 1, 2008

Apples, apples everywhere...

I am something of a teacher over here - english exposure for little kids, conversational english for adults.

One my of my younger adult students, he's 18, in his final year of gymnazium, is one of the few gentlemen I've encountered so far - some of this may have to do with our different cultural perceptions of what constitutes a gentlemen, but some of it, not so much... even the czech women don't really think that a czech gentleman exists. I'm going to tell you otherwise...

Mark (a totally anglicized and butchered american corruption of his name) is my youngest adult student. He always comes early, sits and talks during our breaks, and after the first class noticed I take the tram. He then asked if he could travel with me, and so after class he waits for me to finish locking up, and then stands at the tram stop with me. We board together, he gets off at my stop with me, he waits for my bus, and after I leave he walks around the corner and gets in a car that's waiting for him - he doesn't know I know that last bit, but I've watched it happen from inside the bus.

After a few lessons, and pleasant conversation during our transit, he mentioned he has apple trees. He's started bringing me huge bags of apples and nuts each week - HUGE bags!! If you walked in to Safeway and grabbed a pre-packaged bag of apples that would be maybe a third of the size of the bags he brings me. He carries them in his backpack, and then carries them for me on the tram, on up until I board my bus. This last week he even brought me homemade apple juice - I've never had anything that tastes like it, the tangy tartness and the sweet thick wholeness you get in the best apple juices... Coral and I both love it!

In the meantime I am overloaded with apples, so if you have any fantastic apple recipes, please pass them on. We've only made applesauce and a version of apple crisp so far.

5 comments:

Hugo Fuchs said...

That's not apple juice, it's apple cider. Good stuff. If you ferment it, you'll get hard cider. If you freeze the hard cider, you pour off the alcohol and it's called apple jack. If you distill the hard cider you get apple brandy.

Cider is especially good when served hot with spices.

Are the apples cooking or desert apples? Cooking apples tend to be harder/firmer.

I'll toss up some apple recipes later.

could you pass the peace please said...

The apples aren't super crisp like at home - like a red delicious or something. They're pretty soft when you go to peel them, and even the top layer of apple will peel fairly easily, but they're hard when you go to cut them - not the most helpful answer, I'm sure.

They're delicious baked. There are lots of baked apple items here - pasties, desserts, snacks... very, very common, but not being a baker I have no idea how to make them!

Hugo Fuchs said...

First, what do you have acailable for cooking?
Gas oven, electric oven, microwave, convection microwave, slow-cooking crock-pot, etc.

Pots, pans, knives, etc.

measuring utensils - probably in metric.

Time available.

could you pass the peace please said...

I have three pots - small, medium, and large. The small and medium can go in to the oven which is both a regular electric oven and a convection oven. I also have a very large pan - it's so big it barely fits on my electric stove.

That's about it.

No - a broiler pan and something like a deep cookie sheet... I don't know what else to call it... maybe a very shallow broiling pan.

ALSO - even though I am not a baker I need a good recipe for an apple pie. A student of mine has given me a recipe for bramboly and asked for an apple pie recipe in exchange. Once I have a chance to scan the bramboly recipe I'll post it - it includes drawings.... I love it!!

could you pass the peace please said...

measuring utensils i brought from the us- not metric. knives ad cutting board available too. so is a mixer.