Wednesday, November 19, 2008

From Plastic to Porcelain

I think I may have mentioned the restaurant across the courtyard from the computer lab. When I first got here I'd get their salads every now and then and bring them up to the lab. After a while the tourists peaked again and they couldn't always make me a to-go salad so I sought out other options.

Well, today I went back for a salad. I wanted something healthy and didn't have time to go to Subway for my usual veggie sandwich. I went in, ordered, let them know I'd be right back as I needed to go across the courtyard, and then came back five minutes later as instructed.

Previously I've been handed a paper bag with a plastic container with my salad, a fork, a napkin, and maybe some delicious bread if I'm lucky (that's if I'm doubly lucky as the only person who gives me the delicious bread is this charming, age appropriate, friendly, and quite handsome man).

Today I got bread.

I was also handed a real bowl, actual silverware, and a napkin. Both the bread and the bowl were wrapped in foil. It made me feel so good! How silly, I know, but that bowl and silverware were sort of an inclusion - and acknowledgement that I'm part of their realm... they recognized I belong.

No comments: