Friday, November 7, 2008

Obama Hangover... Hope

It's Friday night here, scratch that, it's now early Saturday morning... this week has been full of thrills, giddiness, hope, and exhuastion. I've been up and out twice this week past 6 am and other nights have been so tense or excited I couldn't sleep before midnight. I didn't have students this afternoon so I snuck home and slept for a few hours before heading to a birthday dinner and a movie (James Bond, english language, czech subtitles).

I know I've mentioned repeatedly I'm the only american amongst my various social circles - this week has been interesting. Starting prior to election day I've been asked and challenged about my vote - not necessarily a confrontational challenge, that's only been from other Americans, but more, explain your reasoning, basis, and belief system and what you expect... not really easy when you're dealing with the language barrier but I think I managed ok.

Then the election - and at school, both pre-schools, and the adult school, at dinner with friends, coffee with friends, and over beer with friends I have been asked time and time again - how did you vote, what do you think, do you expect real change and how - as well as, who is this guy, anyway?

It's been interesting. While people may not know who he is they perceive him as being the most powerful man in the world right now, and hope he views his obligations on the global scale. I do too.

Hope. That's the biggest thing right now. I've been reminded of one my favorite Heath Ledger movies - A Knight's Tale - and a quote about love and hope - "Hope guides me. It is what gets me through the day and especially the night." Right now I have a lot of hope. More than anything else, I think, I have hope.

Hope. It may seem that with hope there's not much else to have, but I have faith too - hope and faith are great companions. Today, right now, this week, I have never been prouder to be an American. I have hope and faith that my country is on the path worthy of the accolades directed our way.

Side note - when the heck is blogger/google going to fix it so Obama is not longer marked as a misspelling???

No comments: