Friday, November 14, 2008

the boys are here... the girls are here....

I was out tonight with a tablefull of expats - this time I was not the sole American. There were a ton of people and one other woman is from CA - but a long term CR resident. The guys were either British or Indian, maybe an Irish one too - and one Canadian girl as well.

How we all arrived in CR came up as a topic of conversation - here are the responses:

For each and every man:

I came here with a girlfriend, this is where she's from (for one or two, the girlfriend was Slovakian and this is the biggest, nearest city that still feels like home - well it was part of their homeland not too long ago).

For each and every woman:

I came here on my own, alone.(As in, not with a significant other - I have Coral, but that's not the sense that "alone" refers to.)

My thoughts - does that mean the female expats are a little more daring and adventuresome than the men?


Almost every guy I've met only came cause the girl he was with wanted to return here - not one came of his own motivation - the very few (one, maybe two)who arrived here as single men have been transferred here for work. Many - all - of the women I've met here showed up as a single woman and have done it on their own. Is that because we're more daring, more adventursome, more confident? Because I've not met one expat woman here who isn't a personal success...

I'm just saying...

Women ROCK!!

No comments: