Monday, August 25, 2008

The cemetery by our house

I took a quick walk through the cemetery the other day - it was a weekend. The images you see of older people in old movies where they're in the cemetery scrubbing and talking and cleaning and caring for the family plot - well they're based in reality. They are family plots going back generations and there were much older people there with buckets of water scrubbing down the marble, tending to the flowers, and sitting and talking.

It was beautiful and sad.

What really got me, that I noticed after my first look around - was how many people buried there died during the 40's - WWII era. Almost every single headstone had at least one family member who died prematurely during the war. I'll repeat that - almost every single grave had at least one person who died during the war.

That was a different bit of history for me.

No comments: