Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Scholastic Journeys

We took the bus, the metro, and another bus to Coral’s school today. And then we had to walk quite a way, under a freeway even, to get to the building – which was locked up. That’s ok, we were on an exploratory journey only. It probably took about an hour.

It was quite confusing – apparently there were 3 exits from the metro leading to 3 different bus/tram stations – and we picked the wrong one – the furthest one from where we needed to be in fact. And then there was one bus line that wasn’t functioning as they’re doing road construction. It all worked out.

I have to say, even though the district is desirable and super cool – and nice mix of really old building and contemporary happenings, it feels like a modern city – the building itself and the surrounding buildings are again what appear to be nice within the context of the surroundings but if you picked up the neighborhood and placed it in SF I’d have been hestitant walking around like we were today, wandering through a rather isolated graffiti ridden neighborhood. If you placed it in SF and I couldn’t communicate and didn’t know where it was I wanted to be – there’d be no way I’d have made the trek with Coral. If I needed to be there I’d have hired a cab to take me and show me the way – if I didn’t have my own car (which I don’t here).

However, here it doesn’t feel like that at all. There are lots of beautiful gardens and fountains and a bustling environment surrounding it – and it’s right off the freeway, which is the first freeway I’ve seen, other than the one from the airport.

Tomorrow we’re going to try a shorter version. Hopefully it’s substantially shorter. If not then I’m going to start looking for a closer more convenient school.

No comments: