Thursday, September 11, 2008

another day, unlike the other

Today I was to have my re-scheduled interview. However I received a text with a rather odd request. Apparently the woman's daughter was home school and so she would not be taking her to school - we were to meet at the metro station near her kindergarten.

She wanted to meet today as she had to cancel yesterday as her son was sick. She asked if I could still show up as... she had arranged with her neighbor to pick me up when he picked up his daughter who goes to the same kindergarten - he drives rather than take public transport. He would then drive me to her house where I could then be interviewed.

I passed.

I was starting to think I've somehow jinxed myself as this was the 4th interview this week that had to be canceled or rescheduled - and it was stressing me out as I really need a job.

Then I tried to relax as I had another interview scheduled for the afternoon. I took care of a number of things and finally left, early in case there were any mishaps on the way.

I followed the directions and could not find the street - when you get out in a square it seems that all the streets boarding the square are marked with the name of the square and I could not find the street names anywere - so I walked up and down the streets (there were over 6 as lots of streets converged at one spot on the square) and when I thought I\d found the right place the name wasn't listed on the door. So I took out my phone and scrolled through to find her number, and gave her a call.

She answered but she wasn't at work - she was sick and leaving the doctor - however she was on her way and asked me to wait at the tram stop for her. Ten minutes later she arrived and we walked down a street I hadn't previously noticed and she started telling me she's got something and had to pick up her anti-biotics on the way over and how lousy she feels - she's been sick on and off on a regular basis since she arrived.

Great. I've already been sick twice since we've arrived and really don't want to catch anything further.

We find the building and then walk up 6 flights of stairs (giant ceilings - again) and find the office space. It's a tiny little room but we sat down and she sort of rushed through how the classes are held, gave me some texts and slotted me in for Monday and Wednesday nights - school starts the second of October and I have intermediate students in a tiny little room and the teachers handbook to review - she said there is minimal class preparation and it's taught in a spoken format - question and answer, engaging the students rather than parsing verbs and such - more practical than test prep stuff.

So I have a job - not a bit one, just a little one, but it will help. She's going to try to get another level course for me to teach so I can have 3 classes instead of just the 2. She never asked me for a thing - no references, she's already viewed my resume, and she goes to my school. She didn't ask me to do a sample lesson or anything. I was there for less than 15 minutes and next week I go to get my keys.

After our meeting I met Coral to give her money as she forgot some and had promised Yaamir a treat for behaving all week. And then I came to school and discovered that my co-worker never bothered to show up today... the computer lab has been closed all day, and after I opened it only 3 people came in - I'm leaving now. Usually at least 10, 12 people cycle through her in the time I've been here, but they're the same people who come earlier in the day too - and I think they came by and just figured it wasn't going to open today. So, the nights been pretty slow. Now, though, it's time for me to go home and make dinner and check Coral's homework before we watch an episode of How I Met Your Mother.

Night!

No comments: