Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Asking for Directions

The title was misleading. I know. Because this post isn't about me asking directions, but rather random people asking me for directions.

In the past two days, I've had two people stop me in the middle of the street, and start speaking rapidly in Czech. I told them I didn't speak the language in a many times practiced phrase, and they went along. The first woman simply said, " Oh, pardon," and hurried off. However, the second couple were a bit more boisterous ( the wording from my mother sitting next to me ). I said, " Nemluvim Czesky", ( I don't speak Czech ) and they started laughing. Hysterically. The man repeated what I said, and went on another round of laughing. They were still cracking up as they walked away. I kind of just stood there, wondering what was so funny about what I said. Did I butcher it? Because I thought that I was getting quite good at those two simple words. Maybe not. Either way, it stung. Poor kid. ( Once again, said by my mother .)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

C-Funk. Meanies is right. Who laughs at my niece?! Your writing is inspired. We want more. Love you! "Bob"

Hugo Fuchs said...

Perhaps you'll understand the humor like this. If you asked me a question. And if I were a foreigner who responded to you in English with: "I don't speak English." It's funny because it's incorrect as I would be speaking the language that I said I couldn't speak.