Friday, September 5, 2008

Elevator and other electronics

Those confining clumsy gods have had their eyes on us this week. With a week full of various mishaps and other nonsense the two that stand out are as follows:

Coral got stuck in the elevator in our building on her way home from school. Please keep in mind that nobody near us speaks english. NOBODY. Fortunately it kicked in again and she was able to depart the elevator after on a short period of confinement. Stressful but not catastrophic.

Then, the following morning, after she had taken a shower and while I was taking my turn, in an effort to get out the door and on our way to school - Coral blew the fuse in our house with our American hairdryer. All the proper adapters were in place but the dryer just hasn't been happy over here. I think it is pretty attached to Heatherglen. Anyway - the fuse blew, and as I was in the tub I tried directing her on how to fix it - she flipped fuses back and forth and back again and nothing happened.

Then we realized we didn't have power at all - our entire apartment was dead. Nothing we did fixed it. I tried - after I was thoroughly dry as I had no need to tempt the electricity gods towards electorocution. Nothin goin.

We had to leave for school and so we did. Wet head and without power.

Twelve hours later we made our way home and were fortunately met by my landlord who was coming over to turn on the power and collect rent. I was expecting him and need to make a run to the ATM for the cash (that's how they do it - he collects rent in cash in person) so in the dark I felt around for my ATM cards, yes 2 as I need to use both to finagle my way around the cash withdrawal limit. I ran over to the ATM in the rain and moments later Coral called to tell me he had arrived.

I proceeded to battle the ATM - it really didn't want to work for me - but I finally got what I could off my first card and went to use the second and discovered I had grabbed Coral's insurance card in the dark.

I ran back to home in the rain and we had power again. Turns out there is another fuse box in the hall for which we need some funky screw called a screwdiver but in no way resembling one. I gave him what I had on me, and rather than wait he'll be back on Monday for the rest.

The elevator broke again this morning. I bought a new hairdryer this afternoon.

No comments: