Sunday, September 21, 2008

political ponderings...

For the most part I'm trying to leave my political views off of here - this is supposed to be about our life here, in Prague... but I found a cross-over and so here's the (first) political crossover...

I have some strong views on our government and where we're at, where we're headed - the upcoming election... and in pursuing my interests I've discovered some devastatingly detailed articles I've forward to friends back home - sort of like - here's a summary of the news that came out while you were sleeping that I found most worthy... and I'm getting emails back saying - there's been nothing of this in our news... the US agencies haven't touched this... nice to know the international media isn't holding off on reporting what's important and untouched by the domestic channels - basically stuff about Palin and her horrendous and duplicitous style of governing. And other stuff too.

So - what's been super interesting to me, here, is how much non-americans care about our elections - the coverage and attention being paid to our issues was at first surprising to me, but now I think I have a better grasp as to why.

Fear.

There is a lot of fear over here and that we're headed in to another world war - that with the wrong government, that with our current administration even, steps will be taken that will further alienate and isolate Russia and tensions will increase - with the radar installation being developed along with the conflict in Georgia and the aid we're extending - that those steps in conjunction will be taken as potential acts of aggression on our behalf and with the precedent of pre-emptive attack that we've established the world balance of peace will be thrown seriously off kilter and that the situation here, or near here, or beyond even, will be quickly shift back in to one of fear and weapons accumulation and a cold standoff if not out right acts of aggression,

The American President will have a major role in how this plays out.

They don't want another gung-ho might is right and god is on my side fanatical leader - or vice-president - but someone who will be slower to jump to the guns and more diplomatic in thought and word (Did you see McCain lump in Spain with the Latin American countries who are being aggressive towards the US??? And when he was corrected not backtrack before rather affirm they'd better watch their step with us.... they're our allies!!)... They don't want a fanatical hockey-mom heading who thinks humans have been in existence for only 3,000 years, since god blew breathe in to their lungs and physically placed them on the planet. They don't understand someone who would place restrictions on women's rights as we're supposed to be the land of the free - and free here post-communism is a word with a different meaning than we've created for the American 'free' - they're a bit more liberal in some stances.

It's been interesting to me when non-Americans bring up our political situation - and most of the American students I've met are more liberal - which is to be expected, having chosen to live in Eastern Europe for the cultural experience and personal expansion.... while the older adults I've met are very conservative - and I do believe I am the only American OBAMA supporting parent in the kid's school - which also isn't shocking as they're very conservative Christians who also believe Evolution to be a political/scientific fallacy disproven by the Bible which is accepted (by most CISP American parents, who are here on some sort of missionary journey) to be the literal word of God.

Living overseas during an election is turning out to be a rather interesting experience... and in case things go Republican I'm already removed from a nation I will not know how to respond to.

2 comments:

Kidsis said...

Hey brave amazing woman (and Jen too hahaha J/K).

I blogged about you in the comments section.

And check out this article.

Hugo Fuchs said...

Evolution is a theory as is creationalism. Neither is fact, nor should either be taught as one. Leave it up to the individual to choose.