Tuesday, September 9, 2008

the musicality of my location

I can't remember if I've posted pics of the buildings surrounding my school - Mozart and Beethoven both lived in the immediate area - directly across the street from the main school building.

There is a strong musical heritage here - opera is huge, numerous orchestral performances on a daily basis, and so. The Prague Philharmonica is about to perform a Hollywood retrospective - I believe they will be performing pieces for films they have worked on... something like that.

Anyway - my location - across the street from the building I work in, the computer lab, is a music school. Not just a teacher or two holding classes after the school day, but numerous teachers conducting lessons all day long. It's quite a cacophony of sound, let me assure you. I've heard angelic singing, some of the most beautiful voices around, terrible Queen covers, some even worse Greenday, and someone banging away on the piano so I couldn't tell if it was intentional, as in some sort of modern disjointed and jarring composition, or a small child just bang, bang, banging till their heart's content.

Every day is different - I come and go at different times, but I am sure after a while with a steady schedule I will come recognize, audibly, not visually, the various students and who to expect when I arrive, and what hours I should avoid, and just stay inside.

All and all - it's a wonderful way to be greeted - choral or symphonic music as I walk to work, every day. Let's just keep the Free Bird to a minimum.

No comments: