Thursday, March 5, 2009

Say what???

I sit in an office with one other man. My Czech boss. The common language of the building is English. All communication, documentation, etc is English. Yet, sitting in this one room it is amazing to have conversations suddenly switch, and then jump around, back and forth, with bits of different languages thrown in there - between English, French, Italian, and Czech. Step outside the door to my closet and you'll get Serbian, Macedonian, Vietnamese, Chinese, Portuguese, and Russian thrown in too.

And by step outside, I mean literally, open the door and step outside.

I feel like I'm at such a disadvantage only having one language to express myself, unable to pick and choose the words from the world that most precisely reflect my thoughts and feelings.

After elementary Czech I really want to learn (ok, re-learn) French.

No comments: