Monday, March 9, 2009

Watch out for the coffee - man!

Today was miserably wet and cold... one of those bone chilling colds. I started it off running to be on time, and not thrilled with my prospects for the rest of the day. That, fortunately was a misapprehension. The day got better, and the improvement started like this...

I got off the tram at Mala Strana and tried to cut across before the tram left so I could catch the next light... that didn't work. Another tram was coming for the opposite direction, and by the time that had passed my tram was moving. I was forced to wait for a moment and I'm glad I did.

Rounding the corner towards the tram stop was a young guy - clean cute, 20s-ish, good looking, and wearing a green Starbucks apron under an open jacket. (FYI Starbucks is immediately at the tram stop, so in the scenario, directly behind me, across the tram tracks.)

He had a large pack on his bag, and I figured he was probably on his way to work and traveling - either he had been or was about to be.

Until he stopped at the red person light and pulled out a hose. I caught his profile about then. and could make out that he had a monstrously large pack on his back.... and noticed he had a cup on his hands.

As I approached through the intersection, as the cars cleared, the whole gathering of people I had been sharing the corner with started to twitter.

He had a coffee urn, no, a coffee tank, strapped to his back and was handing out free cups of coffee! The thing was a behemouth! Bigger than the giant utility size coffee pots they use in fast food places and churches... bigger than the utility brewing coffee pots - and he as happy and smiling while handing out free Starbucks first thing on a Monday morning.

I passed, but it was pretty darn cool!

No comments: