Tuesday, October 12, 2010

augmenting with augmentin

So, I entered a new phase with my perma-cold last week and had to go back to the Dr. She started me on some antibiotic and some other stuff, blah blah blah. I went back a few days later and she wasn't happy with the lack of progress, so she told me she wanted me to try another antibiotic... Last time she had me on two antibiotics at the same time so I wasn't suprised when she told she wanted to "start augmenting." We talked a bit about other stuff and then reviewed all the changes she'd made to everything - the new stuff and then augmenting. I like to review my understanding with doctors, especially when not dealing with a native or near-native speaker, so I gave back a recap of my understanding... "Increase this, change that and then take this new antibiotic along with the old one... right?"

"No, just the augmenting."

That didn't make any sense whatsoever. So she wrote it out... Augmentin. The name of the new antibiotic was Augmentin. I wasn't to augment anything - I was to stop my old stuff and take Augmentin instead.

No comments: