Thursday, October 28, 2010

how many things can break in one weekend?

So I've had a few trips to the doctor and minor surgical procedure this week and a lot of frustration about my health. At one point in the doctor's office, discussing what's not right, my eyes welled up with tears. She thought I was upset about my physical well-being, and I was, but that wasn't the half of it.

This weekend was ridiculous. While my body was getting worse our house fell apart around us.

It started with the water heater - lately it had become less and less reliable. This past week it got so bad I lost track of how many times I had to push the stupid button to try to trigger the water heater to kick in - I know I reached 28 and then hit it a few more times that day... On Friday a repair man came to replace the broken shower pole - he also let me know there was a leak in the shower and asked me not to bathe and he'd be back on Tuesday. I said - not happening.

Then on Saturday the regular heat stopped working - and it's been below freezing. It became as sporadic as the water heater.

Sunday the electricity started to freak out. Fuses blew and wouldn't reset. I spent a great deal of time before figuring out the washing machine was broken and affecting the electricity. If the machine was one, or if you turned it on, the fuse would blow. I had clothes in the machine half way through the cycle.

So - Monday started with - a broken water heater, a broken heating system, a leaking shower, faulty electricity and a broken washing machine - which was immediately followed by an emergency trip to the doctor and then the surgeon. Yes, it was overwhelming. No, I didn't explain all that to my doctor. And now - all household issues have been fixed. It took a few days but they're done. I'm just waiting for my body to get on the same page.

No comments: