Tuesday, October 12, 2010

brown paper blues

On my way home the other day I stopped at Tesco. To be honest, I was on the way back from the doctor trying to stock up on fruits and veggies for the next few days as I knew I'd be at home resting... I wasn't feeling top notch.

BUT - I was no where near as bad as this guy I encountered in the shop. He was tall and gaunt, tight-lipped and grimacing and looked miserable. He was so stiff and tight and intense looking - he was a black hole of gloom in doom the midst of Tesco's overly bright fluorescents and shiny displays... I took a quick look down at the sole object he was trying to purchase and then my empathy just skyrocketed.

He was holding a single roll of toilet paper. Not the Charmin-y softness (Charmin TP doesn't exist here), not even the cottony Kleenex (Kleenex TP does exist here). This poor guy had the roll from hell - it was made from that dark brown rough hand-towel paper you used to find in school bathrooms back in the 70s. You can still find dark-brown rough hand-towel paper in school bathrooms, but it's not nearly as rough as what existed back in the day. For some reason there's a company that distribute TP here that believes that paper should be revived and used not on your hands but elsewhere. That poor man could have bought a 4-pack and purchase something not intended to remove the top 3 layers of skin. Instead I looked at him and knew his discomfort was not to be abated, only transformed.

No comments: