Sunday, October 24, 2010

immunology

I don't understand the doctor system here or why everyone I know gets weird illnesses and infections at, what to me is, an alarming rate. I do know that I'm one of those people who do, though, and it's really impacting the quality of my life.

The multitude of steriods I have to take for my lungs has weakened my immune system and now I have a secondary infection, again. This keeps happening - I get sick - a cold in my lungs - then asthma and bronchitis, and as I start to get better a predatory condition sets in. As I get better from that then the asthma/bronchial thing sets in again. I'm a little concerned as this isn't a good pattern. I happen to catch colds, it's nothing new, I have and do - but here it's taken to a whole other level and it's more than just a cold... and it's starting to feel relentless.

How can I boost my immune system? I'm eating wholesome homemade meals, taking vitamins, started swimming again (when I'm well enough), don't smoke, etc. I don't understand either what I'm doing wrong or what I'm not doing right, but I really need something to change. I hate feeling rundown and tired... and I'm easily overwhelmed with the thought of doctors, hospitals and medication. I would really appreciate some advice - either little things I can do or which doctor/hospital I should consult.

2 comments:

Jana said...

Hello, I have about the same problems - asthma and frequent respiratory tract diseases. My latest strategy: http://www.sterimar.cz/cs/ - a doctor suggested that I have it on me during flights, and I started using it on a daily basis to keep my nasal mucosa humid. As far as I know, when it is dry, it is more vulnerable to viruses. I will soon buy an inhaler (one of these, probably the cheapest Omron: http://www.docsimon.cz/kat/inhalatory-nebulizery). I've been prescribed 10 sessions and go to a physician every day, for about 20 minutes. I inhale Vincentka plus some drops I don't remember exactly. The treatment is meant to address a lump in my throat (which is supposedly due to dessicated mucosa - that must be why I've already had tonsillitis twice this year) but I've noticed that it also improves my breathing dramatically. I've read something about it and found out that it is a good complementary therapy for asthma patients. Normally, I would already be be sick in this unfriendly October weather - I trust the inhalation keeps me healthy. Vincentka is good for drinking, too - unless you have a high blood pressure. It contains a lot of sodium. I often buy Vincentka pastilles, especially when I know that I will be surrounded by people some of whom might have a cold. Another product that seems to be working for me is this: http://www.vitalsupport.sk/ImuSeZin.html . I have also ordered Echinacina, a purely natural product by the Swiss company Just (http://www.just.cz/produkty/vitaminy_mineraly_b/k4207/ - not available in pharmacies; they only send through their own network of dealers - contacts on the website). I've heard much praise about it; it should really jump-start your immune system. People also approvingly comment on their thyme ointment (used for your chest when you have a cold) and eucalyptus spray (beneficial for your bronchus) but I won't be getting those since they contain substances I am allergic to. I hope some of these helps. Oh yes, unless you really dislike them, make sure to eat a lot of garlic and drink a lot of ginger tea. Besides, sauerkraut is a great source of vitamines for the winter. Or the Korean equivalent kim-chi - I loved it in a restaurant and will try to make it on my own.

Jen said...

Thank you Jana! Your comment(s) came through to me immediately but there's a delay in their appearance here as I have to approve them. (Some people I don't know and who didn't know each other were being quite rude to each other on my comments section - this prevents that from happening again.)

I really, really appreciate your informative post and most especially the links! I'll check all of these out fairly soon. Thanks again!